Thursday 8 March 2018

The New Girl

"It felt scary leaving my comfort zone..."




Three and a half years ago I joined my local roller derby team; this was the best decision that I have ever made. Roller derby is inclusive and accepting. No one is left out. 

In October last year I decided to move from my local team to another team based 26 miles away from where I live. This was a huge decision that I had been thinking about on and off for a whole year. So in October 2017 I decided to leave my team and join the Riot City Ravens.

I recently read a post on ‘oursquad' about how it felt to be the new girl. This, along with a fellow team mate inspired me to write my own post about how it felt to join the team.

It felt scary leaving my comfort zone. In my old team, I had felt pretty experienced, to join a new team where I would be at the bottom of the pile. I knew that I would need to work my way up and gain a whole new skill set.

The Ravens were very welcoming and friendly. They also encouraged me to keep trying and that I would definitely improve by attending their sessions. I would gain new skills; the Ravens are inspiring along with being super supportive. 

Training Session with Luklear Blast of Bristol Roller Derby



I've felt quite disheartened over the past four months and still do from time to time. The girls are continuing to help me build my confidence; they must see that I have potential and something to offer them.

They also invited me along to all of the social events to make sure that I felt part of the team and that I could bond with them. Being friends and having fun seems to be a huge factor for this team, though they are very determined and serious about the sport and they are fierce on track. 

Joining a new “squad” can be scary, but I have only had positive experiences through changing teams. 

I have learnt a lot more about roller derby, trained harder and have made a bunch of new friends.


Changing teams can be daunting or scary, but if all of the teams out there are as amazing, welcoming and friendly as the Riot City Ravens then you'll be fine! 

Nucleah 

No comments:

Post a Comment