Saturday 13 June 2015

Riot City Ravens beginner course and cherry popper scrim success!

We’re so chuffed with our new recruits!  This post is about the outstanding achievement of 3 Raven fledglings who have surpassed all our expectations and progressed so rapidly in just seven weeks that they’ve passed their minimum skills and played in their first full contact scrimmage.  In short, these girls have achieved in 7 weeks what most skaters achieve in 7 months.

(Thanks to Graeme Willetts for the photo)


Millertant: “The recruitment drive has been so much fun to be a part of.  It was on a roll from the start with all 20 spots filled and the benefit of funding from Newport City Homes to support the project.  As the only team in Newport, we targeted local ladies who hadn’t tried the sport before.  We had arranged the cherry popper scrim at the end of the course for the beginners to get a chance to see a live game; we never assumed that any of them would be ready to play in it.  I coached the first session and could see right away that the group had massive potential.  I knew that some of them would make it in time to play at the cherry popper and I told a few of the girls it was a realistic goal for them to aim for. 
The main aspects of the training we planned which helped support the rapid progression of these skaters is a combination of a bloody good warm up, variety in skills and drills, a focus on agility, and teaching derby rather than just skating.  We tailored the training to meet the needs of individuals – something which was only possible with the help of additional coaches at each session to keep a ratio of 1 coach per 5 skaters.  As well as the physical components, we set out to prepare them mentally, and empower these girls with confidence and bravery.  I arranged a rules and strategy theory session to help them learn the game and we issued links to resources online.  A big factors in the success of the course is our core ethos of “one for all and all for one”. We deliberately fostered a culture of mutual support within the recruitment group that extended to the whole team.  It’s amazing how much these ladies have supported each other. 
Ravens have been immensely lucky in having a set of new recruits who have such a positive attitude towards learning and are so coachable.  I’m proud to be part of a community that recognises and values strong women and I can’t wait to take to the track with these warriors.”

One of these brilliant Fledglings is HackShaw, who has shared her experience of the course and becoming and raven.



“Me and my friend Becky went to see the Tiger Bay Brawlers play at Newport Centre and instantly fell inlove with roller derby, how lucky we were to be sitting right next to the head coach of the riot city ravens. Kelly told us that the RCR's would be holding a course for fresh meat on the 4th April. As soon as we got home we registered ourselves and were so excited for the course to begin.

Saturday 4th arrived and we entered the room not really knowing what we were letting ourselves in for, we had been skating before but just along the cycle path (nothing spectacular). The Raven girls were so lovely and helped us learn skills we never thought we'd master step by step and made learning different techniques and footwork alot easier than I ever thought and it was great fun.

The course lasted 7 weeks they asked me if I'd like to attend the Tuesday sessions to pass my minimum skills, so I did and within 7 weeks I passed them all and was able to enter the Mixed Cherry Popper Scrim my very first game. I entered but I was terrified having no experience whatsoever at playing roller derby, when the day came I was really nervous to start but then when I was on track I loved every minute of it.

I'd just like to say a big thanks to all you lovely Ravens who helped me get to this point, who dedicate their time to volunteer and help all the newbies get through their minimum skills. I'd also like to say a special thankyou to Kelly and Alex for giving the best coaching I've ever experienced and am looking forward to carry on learning more and hope that I will be as good as you girls one day. I'm so proud to be part of your team now. Love all you Ravens!! X”


Three weeks on from the cherry popper and the girls joined the full team to take on SWAT B and did absolutely amazingly against such a tough team it honestly feels like everyone’s been playing together for years! 



This is just 3 of the girls from the course, there are plenty more of our raven fledglings getting ready to take to the track very soon and they are all going to be just as great!

No comments:

Post a Comment