Wednesday 8 July 2015

The ‘nine month injury’ by JenKill&Hide

JenKill&Hide #7 is one of RCR founding members and a formidable skater and all round athlete. Here's her take on 'maternity leave' from Roller Derby...

JenKill far left (thanks to Steg O'Soar from BRDG for the photo)
I started skating in January 2013, and was instantly hooked! As soon as I’d passed my mins I was taking part in every scrim going pretty much, I could not get enough. More than anything, I loved to jam; the speed and hits you get are such a buzz! I was always pretty into my fitness, especially running, but I started to tailor my fitness to benefit me on track; I ran, did Pilates for core strength, lifted weights at the gym and even started CrossFit…it’s fair to say, I couldn’t get enough of this wonderful sport!

…and then, the unmentionable happened… I got the “nine month injury”… (a.k.a, I got pregnant… but shhhh, don’t mention the “p” word amongst roller girls!)
Now, don’t get me wrong, this was great news for my husband and I… however… where does roller derby stand?? In the early days I laid awake at night worrying about exactly this; I wouldn’t be able to play in our very first British Champs game, would I be able to train? how would I cope without this massive part of my life? Also, I was team captain at this point.
I shouldn’t have worried. Though the transition has been hard. I had to resign as team captain, something that saddened me a great deal. I then had to tell my team mates… I felt like such a let-down; we are a fairly new team, and I’m one of the more experienced players and we were facing our first British Champs game… very awkward. However, the committee and my team mates were very supportive. 

I made it clear that I wanted to still be as involved in the team as much as possible wherever needed. Initially we’d just secured funding for a beginners course, so I chucked myself into that; helping the committee arrange it, and assisting in coaching sessions on a Saturday morning. Our coach, Angel GabriHell has been particularly supportive, she knows how much I love the sport and has gone out of her way to keep me involved in the sessions. I am still on skates, and join in as much as possible, however, I dip out of the contact drills and assist in the coaching… I am a bloody awful ref, but try and give advice and call penalties if I see them!

I have also been extremely privileged to have been voted in as Line Up Manager for our games. So where I initially thought of our bouts and champs games with a heavy heart, not being able to play, I now thoroughly look forward to them! I liaise with the coach, Angel, and Captain, Lil’A beforehand, and I think because I know the team so well and who works well with who, so far it’s worked pretty well and I get positive feedback afterwards from my teamies.

I am so proud of how the team is progressing, it is such a pleasure to watch them improve every game. My advice for anyone in a similar situation to me would be to stay as involved in the team as possible. By attending training, I am keeping my fitness up and also keeping up to date on the drills and plays we are practising, so it won’t be completely alien to me once I’m back ‘properly’. But of course, go at your own pace and listen to your body. I am unable to make our late training sessions, because I just need to be in bed! But I’ve started yoga instead, so I at least feel like I’m still doing something!

I hope to be on skates as long as possible, I also hope to be helping out the team in any way possible right up until my due date. I am keen to get back to full on training as soon as possible after baby JenKill is born… though some of our newbies will be giving me a run for my money where being rostered for games is concerned, I can see that already…bring it on! 


I wanted to write this blog for anyone who may be in a similar position to me and worried about not being able to play. Though I miss the game and the big hits, I still feel very much involved in the team, and at 26 weeks pregnant, am still perfectly stable on skates (despite someone telling me I was unlikely to be skating after 14 weeks… just listen to your own body and do what feels best for you) We are strong, fierce women and can do it all!! Derby Love.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. St Petersburg Personal Injury Attorneys McQuaid & Douglas are committed to helping their clients achieve the best possible outcome. If you or a loved one has suffered a personal injury due to someone else’s negligence, don’t hesitate, contact us today. St Petersburg Personal Injury Attorney

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post. I learn something more challenging on different blogs everyday. It will always be stimulating to read content from other writers and practice a little something from their store. I?d prefer to use some with the content on my blog whether you don’t mind. Natually I?ll give you a link on your web blog. Thanks for sharing. Appoint Best Hip Replacement Surgeon in Pakistan and recover your injuries fast with best surgeon for sport injuries.

    ReplyDelete